The Canada Greener Homes Loan helps Canadians make their homes more energy efficient and comfortable. It offers interest-free financing in addition to the Canada Greener Homes Grant to help you complete some of the more major retrofits recommended by your energy advisor.
Individual homeowners living in a low-rise MURB must meet the additional eligibility criteria for MURBs outlined in the Canada Greener Homes Grant.
INDIGENOUS GROUP APPLICANTS
- You are eligible to register multiple homes
- You must own the home(s) or have a formal partnership to represent the owners, but the homes do not need to be the owner’s primary residence
- Your home must be occupied by an Indigenous household
- You must select at least one eligible retrofit for each property subject to the loan
A maximum of one loan is available per eligible property and homeowner.
The loan can only help you finance eligible products and installations that are part of a retrofit that is both recommended by an energy advisor and eligible for the grant.
To begin work in your home, a portion of the loan can be delivered to you up front. Contractors often require a down payment for these types of projects. The balance of the loan will be delivered upon successful completion of the retrofits, and verification through a post-retrofit evaluation.
ALL LOAN APPLICANTS
June 17, 2022 – The Canada Greener Homes Loan is now open to:
- Eligible applicants who are applying to Canada Greener Homes Grant.
- Active applicants at the pre-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation stage with the Canada Greener Homes Grant.
By August 31, 2022, The Canada Greener Homes Loan will open to:
Homeowners who have already received a grant or requested a post-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation under the Canada Greener Homes Grant and want to apply for any remaining eligible retrofits they are interested in pursuing and have not yet commenced.
There are a few eligibility requirements to meet before applying for the loan:
- You must apply and be eligible for the Canada Greener Homes Grant
- You must be a Canadian homeowner and your home must be your primary residence
- You have completed pre-retrofit evaluation of your home dated April 01, 2020 or later
- You have a good credit history and aren’t under:
You will be asked to share financial information to demonstrate that you have the financial capacity to repay the loan.
This loan does not apply to the following work:
- work that you’ve already started or completed
- retrofits that haven’t been recommended by an energy advisor
- retrofits that are not eligible for a Canada Greener Homes Grant
- retrofits that aren’t included in your application