The Canada Greener Homes Loan helps Canadians make their homes more energy efficient and comfortable. It offers interest-free financing in addition to the Canada Greener Homes Grant to help you complete some of the more major retrofits recommended by your energy advisor.
Individual homeowners living in a low-rise MURB must meet the additional eligibility criteria for MURBs outlined in the Canada Greener Homes Grant.
INDIGENOUS GROUP APPLICANTS
- You are eligible to register multiple homes
- You must own the home(s) or have a formal partnership to represent the owners, but the homes do not need to be the owner’s primary residence
- Your home must be occupied by an Indigenous household
- You must select at least one eligible retrofit for each property subject to the loan
A maximum of one loan is available per eligible property and homeowner.
The loan can only help you finance eligible products and installations that are part of a retrofit that is both recommended by an energy advisor and eligible for the grant.
To begin work in your home, a portion of the loan can be delivered to you up front. Contractors often require a down payment for these types of projects. The balance of the loan will be delivered upon successful completion of the retrofits, and verification through a post-retrofit evaluation.
ALL LOAN APPLICANTS
June 17, 2022 – The Canada Greener Homes Loan is now open to:
- Eligible applicants who are applying to Canada Greener Homes Grant.
- Active applicants at the pre-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation stage with the Canada Greener Homes Grant.
By August 31, 2022, The Canada Greener Homes Loan will open to:
Homeowners who have already received a grant or requested a post-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation under the Canada Greener Homes Grant and want to apply for any remaining eligible retrofits they are interested in pursuing and have not yet commenced.
There are a few eligibility requirements to meet before applying for the loan:
- You must apply and be eligible for the Canada Greener Homes Grant
- You must be a Canadian homeowner and your home must be your primary residence
- You have completed pre-retrofit evaluation of your home dated April 01, 2020 or later
- You have a good credit history and aren’t under:
- a consumer proposal
- an orderly payment of debt program
- a bankruptcy or equivalent insolvency proceeding
You will be asked to share financial information to demonstrate that you have the financial capacity to repay the loan.
This loan does not apply to the following work:
- work that you’ve already started or completed
- retrofits that haven’t been recommended by an energy advisor
- retrofits that are not eligible for a Canada Greener Homes Grant
- retrofits that aren’t included in your application