Offices can be places full of creativity and amazing opportunities – they are also often incredibly wasteful. Processes are difficult to change but there are some small things that can be done to make your office just a bit more green.
- Turn it off: at the end of each day, make sure the last person to leave the office turns off all lights and electronics. Each employee can also shut down their monitors or even their computers at the end of the day.
- Change up the light: LED lights can last up to 40 times longer than a regular incandescent bulb. This makes them cost effective and gives you the option to use solar energy for less funds.
- Reuse: purchase refillable water bottles for employees as opposed to stocking the fridge with plastic ones. Put reusable mugs in the cupboards instead of having styrofoam ones next to the coffee machine.
- Telecommuting: allowing some work at home days is good for your employees and for the environment. Studies have shown increased work productivity at home while also cutting down on pollution. For the days everyone is in office, encourage processes that allow for carpooling and use of public transit.
- Go paperless: while this may take a while, start cutting down on paper usage now. Encourage use of screens instead of paper in meetings and at the desk.